Monday, January 07, 2008

Oh, How I Hate.........



I was watching a TV show yesterday morning about songwriters and they were talking about Irving Berlin and his favorite song--"Oh How I Hate to Get Up in the Morning". His daughter said that he never sang her a lullaby, he sang this song instead.

So, this morning, it was stuck in my head--with a few different words.

"Oh How I Hate to Go to Work after Stanford Loses!"

I try very hard not to wear my Stanford heart on my sleeve, just because of this. But somehow, it always slips out and people here know what a fan I am. So this morning, I could barely sit down before the parade to my cubicle began.

"What happened to Stanford this weekend?"

(How the heck do I know?!)

"It's OK to lose to Arizona and stuff, but not to those LA schools."

(Thanks for your compassion!)

"Wow, they're really gonna drop in the Polls!"

(I don't care! Go away!)

"Were they all sick or something?"

(Not as sick as I am of you!)

"Boy, Cal is going to beat them now."

(Let me make a note of that)

"Are you ok?"

(I will be as soon as you leave me alone!)

I'm sure my co-workers mean well, but they didn't talk to me when Stanford beat Tennessee, so why after these tough losses? Just to irritate me, I'm sure.

Us veteran's of fandom all know it is part of the game--the ups,the downs and the all arounds. Sure, we hate to see our girls lose, but losses during the season don't mean a thing once the "3rd Season"--the NCAA tournament--begins. Those are the losses that really hurt.....and a very good reason to call in sick the next day!

Sometimes losses are good, we hear, even though we'd rather learn lessons some other way. So, here's hoping that this is the wake up call needed, for as Berlin wrote--

For the hardest blow of all is to hear the bugler call:
'You've got to get up, you've got to get up,
You've got to get up this morning!'"

No comments:

Post a Comment